Algiers Charter School Association
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Algiers Charter School Association
The Security Counselor is responsible to patrol a school campus and adjacent property to ensure Algiers Charter students, staff and property safety; monitors pupils and staff safety on campus and at school activities, and assists in the enforcement of rules and regulations.
- Patrol and monitor hallways, stairwells, bathrooms, cafeteria, outside facilities, and other public and unsupervised places of the school to ensure the safety and well-being of students, staff, and the security of the facility
- Ensure a smooth traffic flow of students through the hallways, assisting students with arriving to class and class transitions
- Assist with supervision for breakfast and lunch periods and morning arrival and afternoon dismissal
- Monitor campus during school hours to prevent fires, theft, vandalism and illegal entry and provide general supervision of students outside of class. Investigates and secures buildings at the request of Supervisor
- Maintain alertness for problems likely to disrupt the educational process or to be injurious to persons or property; corrects or reports conditions hazardous to the health and safety of pupils, the public, and staff; remain alert to gang member presence including signals and the wearing of colors
- Notify supervisor, as appropriate, of any suspicious or dangerous activities on or near campus and communicates with school staff via portable radio; report hazards or unsafe conditions on school property to principal or designee
- Establish a positive working relationship with administrators, faculty, staff, students, and the community
- Assist students in resolving conflicts in a positive and constructive manner through the use of conflict resolution strategies and mediation techniques and participate in the training of students and staff in conflict resolution strategies and mediation techniques
- Refer students to appropriate administrator in cases of flagrant or repeated violations of school regulations, and assists teachers when requested in dealing with unruly students
- Screen persons entering school grounds and report presence of unauthorized persons, or stop visitors to campus to ensure they are properly authorized
- Operate a two-way radio to communicate with school and security personnel
- Respond to calls regarding classroom disturbances, behavior problems or related situations
- Prepare required written reports of incidents; maintain security records, logs and reports
- Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities
- Ensure doors/gates are locked and opened at designated times determined by Principal
- Direct traffic and parking on school grounds; check vehicles for proper parking authorization
- Participates in the conduct of fire drills and other emergency building evacuations; may be responsible for activating/de-activating smoke/fire/ intrusion alarm and securing the building
- Maintain positive and effective working relationships with School Police Services personnel and local law enforcement agencies and representatives
- As directed by school principal or designee, intervene appropriately in situations likely to result in disruption or injury and impose appropriate consequences for pupil conduct
- Prepare and maintain a variety of required state and local statistical reports, records, and files
- Adjust schedule to accommodate assignment to a variety of student activities
- Perform related duties as assigned
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent
- Minimum of two years of security experience
Other Skills, Knowledge or Aptitudes Required
- Must successfully pass a drug screening test, have a current Louisiana Driver’s License and be able to drive.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Mediation services and conflict resolution techniques.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Operation of a computer and related software applications.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy.