Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
2019-20 Middle School ELA or Social Studies Teacher
at FirstLine Schools
FirstLine K-8th Grade Schools
FirstLine Schools: 5th-8th Grade ELA or Social Studies Teacher
Creating and inspiring great open admissions public schools in New Orleans
About FirstLine Schools
In 1998, FirstLine Schools started the first charter school in New Orleans. FirstLine now operates five K-8th grade schools. Our mission is to create and inspire great open admissions public schools in New Orleans. We do this by:
- Ensuring college and career readiness for all students, as demonstrated by achievement, aspiration, love of learning, and confidence
- Providing a rich variety of education experiences to nurture our students’ character, health, and active citizenship
- Developing the skillfulness of our team members
- Building a sustainable organization that facilitates our long-term success
Our faculty is a diverse and talented group dedicated to our students’ success and to their own growth as teachers. Our schools are led by leaders who hold themselves accountable for student achievement and teacher development.
FirstLine’s Vision Of Teaching Excellence:
We develop teachers at FirstLine by focusing on excellence in teaching. To do so, we coach teachers and center professional development on our Vision of Excellence in Teaching rubric the components of which include:
- On Task (Maintaining high expectations and maximizing instructional time)
- Essential Content (Planning effectively)
- Cognitive Engagement (Maintaining High Academic Expectations and Building Thinking Skills)
- Demonstration of Learning (Leading Instruction, Checking for Understanding, Responding to Student Misunderstanding)
- Community of Learners (Establishing Expectations and Responding to Student Behaviors)
FirstLine Schools is currently seeking talented, passionate teachers at our K-8 schools and our high school. At FirstLine Schools, we know that it is the effectiveness of our teachers that matters the most when it comes to impacting the success of our students. To ensure that we are an organization of excellent teachers, we expect our teachers to demonstrate effectiveness through our Vision of Teaching Excellence. Teachers will be responsible for implementing the teaching curriculum, ensuring the success of our students, and working with a team of teachers within the school and network community.
- Designs lessons that lead to standards mastery and are aligned to grade level expectations and end-of-year assessments
- Provides feedback to scholars by asking pertinent, scaffolded follow-up questions that affirm correctly understood content, clarify misunderstood content or extend scholars’ thinking
- Establishes effective classroom routines and manages students effectively without disruptions (redirect inappropriate behavior)
- Inspires and invests students in achieving their goals and in believing that goals are achieved through effort and not innate abilities
- Prepares scholars to solve complex problems with no obvious answer
- Seeks out and constructively responds to feedback from and engages in problem-solving with others
Education & Experience:
- 2 or more years of lead teaching (as the teacher of record)
- Demonstrated success working with students in an urban, open admissions school
- A BA or BS required
- A strong background in and command of content area
- Louisiana Teacher Certification Completed or in progress (or be eligible to hold for our out-of-state applicants)
Desired Qualities & Characteristics :
- Believe in every student’s ability to achieve in a rigorous college or career prep curriculum
- Achieve results based on agreed-upon expectations
- Take personal responsibility
- Highly detail-oriented
- Collaborate effectively with a range of stakeholders
- Share a commitment to creating great schools in New Orleans
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Model the FirstLine values of Service, Learning, Collaboration and Results
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
- Light lifting of equipment may be required (up to 20 lbs.)
TEACHER reports to: School Principal/Assistant Principal
How to Apply : Please apply online via: http://www.firstlineschools.org/careers
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. FirstLine Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package with a generous 403b plan.
FirstLine Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.