Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Animal Health / Veterinary Technician (Part-time)
at IHRC Inc.
JOB TITLE: Animal Health / Veterinary Technician (Part-Time)
POSITION NUMBER: 1904-1358620-AVT-IIP-01
POSITION LOCATION: Baton Rouge, LA, USA
ANTICIPATED START DATE: Two weeks after candidate identification
TRAVEL: As required to fulfill the responsibilities of the position
IHRC, Inc. provides scientific, information management, management consulting, bioinformatics, and administrative program support to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other Federal and private sector clients. The successful candidate will be a part-time employee of IHRC, Inc., and will be assigned to the Laboratory Research Branch (LRB), National Hansen’s Disease Program (NHDP), Healthcare Systems Bureau (HSB), Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), 5 Skip Bertman Drive, Baton Rouge, Louisiana to provide care for animals including armadillos and mice, while practicing infection control to prevent any contaminations.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Animal Health / Veterinary Technician (Part-time) will provide care for animals including armadillos and mice, while practicing infection control to prevent any contaminations.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide care for a variety of M. leprae infected laboratory animals including immunocompetent and immunodeficient armadillos, nude mice infected, knockout mice and conventional mice along with the uninfected animals (all above mentioned species of mice and armadillos). To include:
- Provide daily food and water supply for the research colony.
- Sanitize cages for approximately 60 nude mice cages, 75 knock mice cages, 85 conventional cages, and 60 armadillos cages and environment of animal rooms including general sweeping, mopping, and pressure washing.
- The mice (all species) cages and armadillo cages shall be cleaned at least twice a week.
- All waste generated during cleaning shall be disposed of through the red bag waste stream.
- Humanely euthanize animals by, CO2 gas, or by cervical fractures.
- Handle and restrain armadillos, nude mice, knockout mice, and conventional mice for injection with experimental drugs, antibiotics, and other medical treatments.
- Administer feed additives, special diets and medication as directed.
- Handle and restrain armadillos and mice (all aforementioned species) during routine examinations.
- Perform standard operating procedures for animal care in the NHDP Vivarium, to include:
- Animal husbandry, occupational health and safety, facility sanitation, equipment operation, processing of newly arrived animals, animal transportation, feed and bedding delivery, environmental and disease control, euthanasia, and Sorting and autoclaving laundry for the vivarium.
- Make recommendations to the attending Vet, Research Staff, and technicians regarding animal care and facility operations.
- Donning and doffing of the appropriate Personal Protective Equipment for the National Hansen’s Disease Animal Vivarium
- Maintain population and cleaning records, to include:
- Daily time, temperature, and date.
- Cage Cards (Describe the animal’s health, research experiment, and feeding habits).
- Operate large mechanical cage washing machine, high-pressure spray cleaner, and autoclave with the proper sterilization indicators.
- Provide basic nursing assistance to armadillos as follows:
- First aid
- Administer medication
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Six months experience in caring for laboratory animals or related work
- Physical ability to repeatedly lift bags weighing up to 55 pounds (25 kilograms) and frequently move wheeled cage racks through corridors
- Strength and agility to capture, restrain and carry medium sized mammals without causing harm to the animal or self
- Must have no known allergies to animals, feed, or chemicals
- Must be able to wear a respirator
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions and standard procedures
- Must have driver’s license
- The candidate must possess excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Must be United States citizen or permanent resident or have authorization for employment in the United States
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
To apply for this position:
- If you are viewing this position on the IHRC Career Center, please click on the "Apply Now" button.
- If you are viewing this position on a site other than the IHRC Career Center, you may use the “click to apply” link, or you may apply by visiting our Career Center and searching for the position number listed at the top of this position description.
- To view all of our open positions, and to apply to those positions in which you may be interested, please visit our Career Center, which can also be reached by visiting www.ihrc.com/Careers and clicking on the “View Opportunities” link.
IHRC, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. It is the policy of IHRC, Inc. to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, citizenship, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, veteran or disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law, and to take affirmative action in accordance with applicable laws and Executive Orders.