Lafayette General Health
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Health Information Manager-AGH/AKMH HIM-Full Time in Crowley, LA at Lafayette General Health
at Lafayette General Health
Under the guidance of the System Health InformationManagement Department and in collaboration with the HIM System OperationsManager, the Manager is responsible to provide leadership, strategic directionand management of the day to day operations of the HIM department whichincludes but not limited to; HIPAA, Release of Information, Quality,Transcription Division, Imaging Division and EMR initiatives of the HIMDepartment. This individual is responsible for the efficient, effective andhigh quality operation of the each of the following tasks. Works very closelywith the System HIM Team to achieve goals and implement best practices for thefacility. Candidate must be goal oriented, must be able to effectively manageand/or direct team, displays multitasking skills and maintain open lines ofcommunication with the System Health Information Management Department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Specific HIMManager responsibilities include:
• Direct and coordinate all activities ofthe personnel involved with daily operational functions of the HIM department multiple campuses and ensures all other HIMactivities are completed in a timely, accurate and customer friendly manner inaccordance with hospital policies and procedures.
• Facilitates department’s day-to-dayactivities with other hospital departments (e.g. Patient Financial Services,Outpatient Departments, Case Management, etc.) and physician’s offices asrequired.
• Directs and supervises the activities andservices of the HIM Department in managing chart management functions, , DNFBmanagement, Chart Deficiency management, discharge analysis, , and,transcription, HIM quality assurance and HIM Compliance along with release ofinformation .
• Oversees the scanning process and enduresthat the records are being scanned appropriately. (Batch prep, Indexing,validation, etc.)
• Ensures that the QA process is performedfor all applicable processes/initiatives.
• Plans and organizes all operationalfunctions including staffing and staff development, purchasing, budgeting,regulatory compliance and
customer service management to include physicians andpatients customer service.
• Direct all activities related torecruitment of new personnel, and the training, scheduling, evaluation,disciplinary action and termination of existing personnel, assuring compliancewith personnel policies.
• Conducts monthly staff meetings to informof changes in policy, to provide in-service training, facilitate opencommunication and build the team.
• Evaluates progress for each area utilizingquantitative productivity methods.
• In collaboration with the HIM SystemOperations Manager, coordinates the collection of data for reporting purposes,such as HIM Report Card, Clinical Transformation Committee presentations, Medical Executive Committee, etc. as required.
• Performs monthly HIM audits and reportsresults up to the System Health Information Management Department.
• Performs timely review of all regulationsand standards to assure compliance with orders or directives issued bygovernmental/regulatory agencies (TJC, CMS, State, and Federal) or third partypayors. Keep informed of the changes and coordinates implementation within thedepartment.
• Oversees the organization of the retentionof records, files and reports in accordance with hospital and regulatorystandards.
• Works with the System HIM OperationsManager to develop long and short-term plans, goals and objectives that willmeet the Hospital’s vision, direction and needs for Health InformationManagement.
• Works in partnership with Corporate HealthInformation Management to resolve any outstanding chart completion issues.
• Takes an active role in the revenue cyclemanagement process by reviewing and monitoring Discharged Not Final Billed(DNFB) reports daily/weekly to help facilitate and resolve outstanding issuespreventing the coding and billing of accounts in order to meet timely filingdeadlines in partnership with the Unbilled Coordinator.
• Assists in obtaining dictated andancillary reports, verifies that essential information is accurate and forwardsthe account information to the Unbilled Coordinator in a timely manner.
• Working knowledge of coding and billingfunctions in order to help facilitate collaboration amongst DepartmentDirectors, Managers, Supervisors, etc. to resolve timely filing issues.
• Prepares monthly reports and completesmedical record audits regarding medical record elements on the medical recordsof said facility.
• Ensures payroll is completed according tohospital policy. Ensures that employees are punching in/out appropriately andthat sick time utilization is being monitored.
• Provides or facilitates orientation oron-the-job training as required for the personnel assigned to the HIM area aswell as any other staff that require orientation to the HIM area. (HIMStudents, volunteers, etc.)
• Participates on hospital committees, taskforces, and meetings as appropriate or assigned such as Medical Staff, SurgeryCommittee, etc.
• Ensures that the delinquent medical recordprocess is in accordance with the medical staff rules and regulations.
• Assures that staff is performing in aproductive, error-free manner and that manpower that is assigned is usedeffectively to accomplish the goals/deadlines that are established for therespective areas.
• Identifies and evaluates operationalproblems, troubleshoots, and facilitates suitable solutions with employees and customers.
• Keeps abreast of new developments in theHIM field for personal growth and development. Communicates these to theappropriate staff, users, etc.
• Provides leadership and promotes teamworkwithin the HIM areas and with all staff and physicians.
• Sets a tone of responsiveness and serviceorientation to all customers through efficient HIM processes and operations.
• Provides leadership to assure compliancewith all applicable standards.
• Works closely with Facility Leaders (CEO,Executive Directors of Ambulatory Services, Director of Outpatient Services andController) at facility.
• Works closely with Clinic Coordinators,Clinic Staff Physicians, Physician Service Leaders, and Managers to ensuretimely resolution of unbilled clinic encounters where applicable.
• Medical Staff Credentialing Services whereapplicable
• Birth Certificate Registration whereapplicable
• Other duties as assigned
• FTEs Supervised: Chart Specialists
Additional Skill Set Requirements:
• Maintains standards of confidentiality andHIPAA
• Works with the System Coding Manager asneeded
• Adheres to hospital administrativepolicies.
• Works with the Executive Team and otherinternal areas on projects relating to HIM topics.
1. Associatesor Bachelor’s Degree in HIM or related subject AND License or Cert in RHIT orRHIA required.
a. License or Cert must be obtained within first 12 months ofemployment.
Master’s Degree in HIM related field. License or Cert in RHIT orRHIA preferred.
2. Experience Requirements: A minimumof 2 years of supervisory experience is preferred
3. MaintainsRHIA, RHIT certification