Lafayette General Health
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Medical Technologist-AGH Lab-PRN in Crowley, LA at Lafayette General Health
at Lafayette General Health
The Medical Technologist performs routine and special chemical, microscopic, microbiological and immunological tests on body fluids, blood, exudates from hospital and other patients to provide information for diagnosing and treatment of disease.
• Performs various laboratory procedures on patient samples using instruments in the chemistry, hematology, coagulation, urinalysis, blood bank, serology, flow cytometry, and microbiology departments. • Prepares blood and blood components for transfusion by conducting blood group, type and compatibility testing.
• Inoculates and cultivates specimens. Performs routine, fungal, anaerobic, and blood cultures. Identifies microorganisms and provide susceptibility results as appropriate.
• Performs other microbiological testing including OCP, PCR, rapid antigen/antibody tests, and various stains and microbiological analyses.
• Analyze specimens using microscopic and manual techniques to report normal and abnormal findings.
• Prepares reports of technological findings by collecting, analyzing, and resulting information, referring to pathologist as appropriate. Responsible for reporting critical results and reportable diseases per hospital policy.
• Performs and documents maintenance, quality control, proficiency tests, and troubleshooting of laboratory instrumentation and equipment.
• Maintains professional and technical knowledge by participation in continuing education.
• Maintains inter and intra-departmental workflow by fostering a spirit of cooperation and participating in hospital committees/teams.
• Assists in maintaining departmental inventory of supplies and reagents and performing quality control as required.
• Participates in training students and staff.
• Assists phlebotomists with venipuncture when necessary.
• Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the neonate, pediatric, adolescent, and geriatric patient served.
1. Asrequired by the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act of 1998: Section 493.1433Standard; Technologist Qualification
2. Maintains current license by Louisiana StateBoard of Medical Examiners - CLS-Generalist.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must comply with all SERVICE Standards of Behavior
• Work is light; walking and standing most of the day.
• Work is inside but employee is subjected to unpleasant laboratory odors and to danger of burns and cuts from laboratory apparatus and equipment.
• Reaches for and carries laboratory equipment and materials weighing up to 20 pounds.
• Works under general supervision but exercises wide latitude to plan and organize own work.