Lafayette General Health
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Phlebotomist - UHC Lab - PRN in Lafayette, LA at Lafayette General Health
at Lafayette General Health
ThePhlebotomist is primarily responsible for phlebotomy procedures. Will assists in charting and other clericalduties of the department. The Phlebotomist must be able to demonstrate theknowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the neonate,pediatric, adolescent and geriatric patient served. The individual mustdemonstrate knowledge of the principals of growth and development over the lifespan and possess the ability to assess date reflective of the patient’s statusand interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient’srequirements relative to his or her neonate, pediatric, adolescent or geriatricneeds, and to provide the care needed as described in the unit’s departmentpolicies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Maintains collection tray and working area in asanitary condition.
2. Follows proper patient identification policy.
3. Draws blood from patients and returns specimens topathology for analysis to establish procedures.
4. Labels allspecimens with date, initials and time received.
5. Accurately logsin date and time drawn of all specimens in the lab computer system.
6. Uses lab computerto generate labels, reports, and inquiries as needed.
7. Assists couriersand clerical personnel when necessary.
8. Assists withsupply inventory and stocking of received supplies.
9. Responsible in anappropriate manner to Stat, Timed and Routine orders as well as Codes asassigned.
10. Reviews all computer printouts on patient phlebotomyrequests for pertinent demographic and clinical information.
11. Prioritizes duties according to requests, location andspecimen priority.
12. Refers questionable matters to management or technicalstaff.
13. Attends in-services and department meetings asrequired.
14. Participates inpathology quality improvement, attends and participated in lab in-services.
1. Minimum Highschool Graduate or equivalent.
2. Certified as phlebotomytechnician by national certification exam preferred.
PHYSICALDEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
• Medium Work asdefined by the U.S. Department of Labor constitutes a maximum lift of 21-50pounds on occasion and/or a maximum lift of 11-25 pounds on a frequent basis
• May be required to assist in the turning, lifting, ormoving patients as well as walking about from patients’ rooms, as well as toand from various hospital areas