NOVA CHEMICALS CORPORATION
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at NOVA CHEMICALS CORPORATION
- Job ID
- Closing Date
- Job Category
- Eng & Technical
- Required Travel
NOVA Chemicals is experiencing significant growth and we are looking for talented and passionate people to work in our collaborative and innovative organization. As a Responsible Care® company, we are committed to safety and sustainability, we are a respected community partner and we take pride in being a leading producer of plastics and chemicals that make everyday life safer, healthier and easier.
We are currently seeking a Mechanical Engineer who will be a member of the Engineering Services team at Geismar. The successful candidate will be a member of a multi-discipline team and provide collaborative engineering support to the projects within the Geismar portfolio. The portfolio supports the growth, reliability, maintainability and operability of the manufacturing facility. Success of the team is measured by the ability of the project team to meet project objectives, quality of work including schedule and cost management.
Total installed cost of projects ranges from $100K to ~ $15M, with most in the $500k to $1.5M range requiring multi discipline support. Incumbent will work closely with Engineering firms ensuring a quality construction package is delivered to the construction team on time. Field support for the construction process is an important element of project success. Use of 3d modeling has become an important technology for Geismar projects.
In this role, you will:
- Ensure projects meet the mechanical and piping design requirements for successful implementation through problem solving and troubleshooting of process equipment as well as specifying and preparation of new equipment requirements
- Provide support to the project in the areas of Responsible Care Standards, HAZOP reviews, compliance to environmental commitments, compliance to Loss Prevention Standards, and unit reviews
- Support and participate on project teams in the disciplined application of the Project Development and Implementation (PD&I) process throughout project lifecycle: investigation, development, implementation, validation and commercial operation
- Provide support to business Case definition
- Site champion for Nova Corporate Engineering Standards
- Develop project front end and design base memorandums
- Lead P&ID development and sign off these documents
- Liaise with EP firm during execution of projects
- In conjunction with other members of the technical team you will develop, input to and maintain technical work processes
- May involve some co-ordination of other mechanical engineering or design resources, students, new grads or contractors
The incumbent will be a member of a high performing / self-managing team executing key business focused projects for the Geismar manufacturing facility.
The successful candidate will have a B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering with 8+ years’ experience, preferably with a minimum of four years of mechanical engineering experience.
- Applied knowledge of heat exchanger design, pressure envelope design and a working knowledge of ASME/ANSI/API codes would be considered an asset
- Ability to work independently and manage your own workload with minimal supervision, managing multiple projects and tasks in a dynamic work environment
- Ability to contribute and be viewed as an informal leader within the team is necessary
- Ability to challenge their peers to ensure highest level of performance / quality from team
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with Operations, Maintenance, and Technical teams
- Ability to offer practical solutions to problems in a timely manner
- Demonstrated strong willingness to take initiative
- Demonstrated decision-making and problem-solving skills
NOVA Chemicals develops and manufactures chemicals and plastic resins that make everyday life safer, healthier and easier. Our employees work to ensure health, safety, security and environmental stewardship through our commitment to sustainability and Responsible Care®. NOVA Chemicals, headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, is wholly-owned ultimately by Mubadala Investment Company of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
Located just south of Baton Rouge and employing more than 120 people, the olefins facility in Geismar, Louisiana, annually produces approximately 1.95 billion pounds of ethylene and 114 million pounds of polymer grade propylene. It also produces 13 million gallons of crude butadiene and 14 million gallons of Debutanized Aromatic Concentrate per year.
NOVA Chemicals’ flexible benefit programs are designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees, because when it comes to benefits, everyone has different priorities. Our benefits offerings will vary based on your work location, and are an element of the “Total Rewards” package.