Selective Insurance Group, inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Trial Attorney- Home Based, Lafayette, LA, Baton Rouge, LA
at Selective Insurance Group, inc.
- Experience (Years)
- Legal/Staff Counsel
- Full-Time Regular
- FLSA Status
- Job ID
- Travel %
Provides legal representation to insureds of the Company in defense of litigated claims. Provides advice to the claims department of the Company and represents the Company in certain litigated matters.
** Person can be located via home office in either: Lafayette, LA, or Baton Rouge, LA area
- Dictates/prepares pleadings, motions, briefs, letters, memoranda, reports, articles, etc. using the Company’s legal case management software, dictation and voice recognition equipment.
- Engages in various forms of paper discovery practice and conducts depositions and other pre-trial examinations.
- Communicates with and regularly updates the client and claims personnel regarding the status of pending matters. Communicates with opposing counsel, the courts and others as needed.
- Researches issues using Westlaw, Lexis and other computer/web based data sources, as well as using legal treatises, law reporters and other library materials.
- Provides support services to claims, underwriting and other adjunct departments in the form of legal opinions, recommendations and digests of recent developments in decisional and statutory law.
- Controls and directs clerical activity, in accordance with office protocol, necessary to support function of position.
- Reports to managing attorney concerning status of matters and provides other information as requested.
- Tries cases to conclusion before judges, juries and other triers of fact.
- Travels to depositions, court appearances, claims and client meetings, and other events as necessary. Car travel represents approximately 20% of employee’s time.
- Engages in other activity as directed by the managing attorney.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Explorer or similar required. Typing skill required.
- Legal case management software experience preferred.
- Excellent customer service, writing and oral communication skills required.
- Must have detailed knowledge of the business unit and industry.
- Must have valid state-issued driver’s license in good standing.
- Juris Doctor degree from ABA accredited law school required. Member in good standing of the Bar of the jurisdiction required.
- At least 5 years legal experience in the jurisdiction required
- Legal degree required.