State of Louisiana
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Social Media and Science Communication Coordinator
at State of Louisiana
- Supplemental Information
Please do not submit an electronic application for this vacancy through LA Careers. Interested applicants must submit a cover letter addressing each of the bulleted points, curriculum vitae or resume, three examples of science communication (e.g. blog posts, videos, articles, Facebook campaigns, etc.), and the name, address, phone and email contact for at least three individuals qualified to comment on your science communication work to email@example.com.
Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium (LUMCON), a division of the Louisiana Board of Regents (BOR), seeks to fill a Social Media & Science Communication Coordinator. The position will be based at the LUMCON Marine Center in Cocodrie, LA (http://lumcon.edu).
Duration and Start Date: The initial appointment is for 2 years, depending upon satisfactory performance, with possibility of extension. The position is available immediately. Review of applications will begin February 15, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
Science communication strategies at LUMCON focus on innovation and seeks to catalyzes change through that innovation. One of our highest priorities is experimenting with how our scientists and our brand interact with the public and our peers, rather than just following the status quo. We primarily use digital platforms to reach others, with a heavy investment in social media. LUMCON's Social Media Program is the digital version of LUMCON, which connects people, enriches communities, and transforms understanding of coasts and oceans. We are looking for someone who has a passion for all things social media and content development. Above all, we are looking for someone who has the same passion for marine science that we do. To read about our media program mission and core values visit https://lumcon.edu/media/.
For additional information regarding this announcement, please contact:
- BA/BS preferred
- Experience with and knowledge of marine science
- Experience in social media marketing and/or content development
- Established network of contacts in mainstream media outlets
- Experience in short and long-format writing
- Preferred: experience generating, editing, and producing web video
Qualities of a successful candidate:
- Believes in LUMCON's mission
- Creative, proactive, innovative, and eager to learn and grow
- Strong communicator with a passion for marine science; comfortable communicating with scientists.
- Analytical and strategic; a basic understanding of digital analytics
- Appreciates feedback and values honest, thoughtful critique
- Job Concepts
- Maintain a social media and science communication plan that highlights Louisiana marine science across our consortium members; the science, natural history, and facilities of the LUMCON Marine Center in Cocodrie, LA; and conveys the excitement and energy for the new growth phase of LUMCON within the boundaries of the mission and core values of the program
- Implement and adjust this plan to drive traffic, engagement, and community growth across all LUMCON social media channels.
- Manage day-to-day content production and execution for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.
- Engage and connect with the consortium members, public, Louisiana residents, students, and various LUMCON stakeholders.
- Coordinate events with science communicators interested in marine science and social media.
- Coordinate with media outlets to highlight LUMCON marine science.
- Communicate and collaborate with other LUMCON groups to support existing programs, cross-functional campaigns, and new initiatives.
- Analyze social media metrics and identify opportunities to better engage with the community and drive goals.
- Stay up-to-date on best practices on social media marketing and content development